6 Perfectly Good Reasons to Call Out of Work and Not Feel Guilty About It
Don’t be afraid to use this as a reason for calling off work. Just because no one else in your company is doing so doesn’t mean it’s not valid, and most managers are more than understanding. This is also something that you can easily notify your employer about ahead of time, since holidays are predictable events.
- InHerSight matches job-seekers and companies based on millions of workplace ratings from women.
- Even though you have provided good excuses to miss work, employers might still mark your absence in your profile or performance record.
- Managers won’t typically ask any follow-up questions, but if they do, feel free to make them uncomfortable with the dirty details.
- A spouse, child, or dependent that needs your help taking care of an accident are all valid excuses.
- In fact, as of the writing of this article, the months of July 2022 and April 2020 had the two highest monthly workplace absences by far since 2012.
It’s customary to ask for permission to miss work to attend/plan the funeral and grieve. The death of a loved one is an acceptable excuse to take some time off work. Your boss will understand when you tell them you can’t make it to work due to such problems since they cannot be addressed later, and ignoring them can be disastrous.
Will Robots Take My Job? Future of Work
Despite this, it’s important to remember that there will be times when you really do need to call in sick when working from home. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of nine reasons to legitimately call off work when working remotely. We can’t all perform like robots and show up every single day.
That’s a bit trickier, because not all of your usual excuses will work (after all, you don’t need to leave the house). Or if strong winds and heavy storms whipped through your neighborhood, you might lose power or your internet connection and can’t work online. If you can find somewhere else to set up shop, that’s great, but bad weather often affects businesses all around you, leaving you stuck at home. If that’s the case, taking a day off until things return to normal may be the best plan.
“I’ve been up all night with a stomach bug!”
Hopefully, a delayed bus or train won’t impact your entire day, but sometimes there’s nothing you can do except wait. Text or Slack your manager that there are significant issues and that you’ll be there as soon as you’re able. You can also send them a screenshot of public transit alerts or news articles to show them why you’re not there. While more and more companies are accepting the idea of a mental health day without a specific reason or emergency, this excuse is best if requested one or two days in advance. From the flu to uncomfortable cramps during a menstrual period, feeling under the weather is a pretty common excuse for calling in sick to work, especially on short notice. I agree in that people should be honest and also understand they are allowed a level of privacy in their matters. Covid-19 has definitely made that so much more of a reality!
Generally, calling out of work means contacting your employer and saying you won’t be able to make it in for a scheduled shift or workday. Essentially, you’re announcing an unplanned absence. Simply saying you have a “personal emergency” is likely to be questioned by your employer, but saying you have explosive diarrhea is definitely not necessary. Accurately explain the situation reasons to call out of work as far as you feel comfortable. If you are unhappy with your job, it may be time to consider finding a new one or discussing changing your workload. Medical appointments can be difficult to secure and may need to be scheduled during work hours. Professional appointments, such as a meeting with a prospective client, may also need to be scheduled during regular work hours.
“My dog’s not feeling well.”
If you work remotely, it’s acceptable to take a day off if you aren’t feeling well or if you are feeling tired. Choosing the right venue to inform your manager or boss is important.
- Just be clear and direct, give the general excuse/reason that you’re going to use to miss work, and then stop talking and see how your boss responds.
- You may also need to share updates, especially if you’re unsure when you can return to work.
- Don’t wait, be honest, try to cover your missed hours if necessary, and keep your employer posted are the best ways to deliver notice that you’ll cut work the next day.
- However, since a flat tire doesn’t take that long to fix, your employer might not want to give you the entire day off, instead being okay with you showing up late.
- You most often don’t have to start producing doctor’s notices for one-day off work – although check the policy for this if you’re actually not sick!
- Not to mention that most folks are more sympathetic toward a sick kiddo than a sick adult.
Seriously, though – if you need to be near the toilet all day and will be going every few minutes, employers will be willing to give you some time off. Any type of stomach bug can work, but diarrhea is one kind of digestive issue that employers don’t want to deal with – or ask you questions about. Let’s say that you woke up with a flooded basement or a leaky roof. That way, you can deal with your emergency with a clear head and prepare your home (and your mind!) to return to work with a clean slate once the repairs are made.